Monday, January 31, 2011

weeks twenty two and twenty three

We left for the bus terminal at 11 am on the 23rd. The bus ride ahead of us was to be more than 24 hours, so I prepared as best I could by charging my iPod the night before. The bus was a double-decker and we were on the top level, in the front. I was happy to be so fortunate to have a windshield to look out of and expected that in 24 hours on the road, I would be sure to see some nice scenery. I was wrong. All there was to see out the windshield was flat, boring farmland. I woke up the next morning, still on the bus, to the province of Misiones, Argentina. Misiones is beautiful with rolling jungly hills and red earth.

We stopped at a rock quarry in Misiones and learned about the semi-precious stones of Argentina. After a long time at the border due to the German couples' barely readable documents, we were at last in Brazil. By 4 pm we were in the hotel.

The next morning we set off to see the exotic bird park. I had never seen a Toucan before except on my cereal box so that was a cool experience. After that, we went to see the Brazil side of the world famous Iguazu Falls.

We entered the national park and took a jeep through the jungle. I saw monkeys swinging from tree to tree in the distance. Then the jeep stopped at the top of a hill and we waited in line for a motor raft ride up river. After a few km on the raft, we turned a corner and there they were. The Falls. The boat driver took us right next to a couple falls and we were soaked. Then he played around in the huge waves, doing donuts and getting air, making sure to splash us even more. I had a smile on my face the whole time.

After we got back from the raft ride, we took another jeep up a huge hill to get to the observation platforms and walkways around the falls. I took some good pictures and enjoyed the atmosphere. The falls and the land is incredible. Huge rock cliffs covered in jungle greenery with the contrast of bright white water reflecting in the sun. The way it sounded, the way it felt. The wind was whipping, the splash from the various waterfalls was reaching us from what seemed like every waterfall. It was an experience I will never forget.

The next morning we saw the falls from the Argentina side. The Brazil side offers a great panoramic view, but the Argentina side offers a closeness that the Brazil side can't. I stood above the famed Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat) which just looked like a giant area of spray from the Brazil side. I didn't want to leave. After a while around the Garganta, we took a group photo and went to see some other views of the falls. They are beautiful close up, they are beautiful far away. A highlight of the Argentina side was standing on a platform that was pretty much at the bottom of a very powerful waterfall.

After we were done with the Argentina side, we went to eat and there was a native playing the harp. The next day there was an excursion to Paraguay for those who wanted to purchase electronics at a much cheaper price, but we didn't go. We left for home after our last well appreciated all you can eat breakfast in the hotel complete with all the fruit I could have asked for at 7 am. I reflected on the trip while looking through the windshield onto Misiones. I saw wild monkeys, I saw blue and silver Iguanas, I saw spiders the size of my palm, I saw one inch black ants, I saw an alligator, I saw the jungle, I saw Iguazu Falls. The trip was also great bonding time with my host family. Playing cards, cracking jokes, and talking Argentine league soccer were among the things we did in our downtime in the evenings. One week from the halfway mark of my exchange, I feel very much a part of my host family and very comfortable here.

At a stop on the way back home I purchased a hand painted t-shirt to help me remember the experience, or rather I bought it because it looked cool. The truth is I don't need a t-shirt to remember the trip... I'll never forget it.

Here are some photos from the trip. The rest are on Facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment